Prepare the ultimate Beef Wellington to impress your friends and relatives!
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 trimmed centre-cut beef tenderloin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for greasing
- 2 tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 5 lb. of chopped mixed mushrooms
- Leaves from 1 thyme sprig
- 2 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- Flour for dusting
- 14 oz. frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Flaky salt for sprinkling
How to cook:
- Tie tenderloin with a kitchen twine then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Coat bottom of the pan with olive oil over high heat until nearly smoking then sear tenderloin until well-browned. Transfer to a plate and snip off twine. Coat all sides with mustard. Let it cool in fridge.
- To make duxelles, pulse mushrooms, shallots and thyme in a food processor until finely chopped.
- To skillet, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add mushroom mixture and cook until liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper then allow to cool in fridge.
- Place plastic wrap down then shingle the prosciutto over the surface. Spread the duxelles evenly and thinly over the prosciutto.
- Place the tenderloin at the bottom of the prosciutto. Use plastic wrap to roll tightly into a log and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 218°C. Roll puff pastry into a rectangle. Remove tenderloin from plastic wrap and place on the puff pastry. Tightly roll beef into pastry.
- Once the log is fully covered in puff pastry, wrap into a cylinder in plastic wrap then chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until pastry in golden for about 40 – 45 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.